Our contribution to a greener Mauritius
As a company, our core objective is to engage in research & development, to find a way to be more environmentally friendly in all our endeavours.
Being eco-conscious, in an attempt to contribute to the preservation of our little island’s environment, we decided to launch our SAVE collection in 2018.
Since then, we’ve been donating 3% of our SAVE collection’s sales to the Mauritius Marine Conservation Society (MMCS) . Additionally, we introduce two new ocean species (all donations go to MMCS) every time we launch a new collection.
Every little steps are important, you can now shop your sustanaible swimwear ! Our new SAVE collection are made from 100% recycled polyester filament made of plastic waste recovered from plastic bottles.
The Mauritius Marine Conservation Society is a non-governmental, non-profit organisation that was created in 1980. It focuses on the protection and management of the coastal and marine environment in Mauritius and is actively working to raise awareness and appreciation of marine life.
Since its inception, MMCS has developed a few projects, including:
- A collaborative awareness and community empowerment project on sea turtles in the south of Mauritius;
- An awareness campaign in view of the national closure of octopus fishery;
- Coral reef protection;
- The creation of artificial reefs.
ECONYL regenerated nylon is made from waste like fishing nets to be recovered from oceans and aquaculture, and leftover fabrics and carpets destined to landfills. It is infinitely recyclable and can unlock endless possibilities for manufacturers, creators and consumers.
ECONYL can be recycled, recreated and recast infinitely. For every 10,000 tons of ECONYL raw materials, 70,000 barrels of crude oil are saved and the emission of 57,000 tons of CO2 is avoided. In addition to being a solution on waste, ECONYL regenerated nylon is also a better alternative in terms of climate change.
Discover how these revolutionary materials are made by having a look below.
The factories with which we work in Mauritius operate in compliance with laws, rules and regulations.
They respect workers’ employment conditions, pay the minimum legal wage and provide their employees with a healthy, clean and safe workplace. We also make sure that they do not hire children.
We work closely with factories and their teams from the sampling stage, to conceptualise and develop each new pattern.
We often oversee the production process as well, to ensure the good quality and finishing of our products.
It’s amazing to see all these little hands working to manufacture our beautiful beachwear!
Committed to better respecting our planet, AQUA supports local sustainable causes, strives to employ environmentally friendly production techniques and defends ethical values all throughout the supplier, production and selling chains.
Additionally, we demonstrate our eco-friendliness by…
- Using packaging made from recycled carton and paper;
- Being committed to helping local associations like the Mauritius Marine Conservation Society and the Mauritius Wildlife Foundation;
- Using ECONYL regenerated nylon in the production of our ladies’ swimwear;
- Printing the labels directly on the fabrics of our women’s swimwear and packing them in biodegradable plastic bags;
- Using sublimation to reduce water consumption and pollution;
- Planning to make the items of our next AQUA SAVE collection from 60% recycled polyester;
- Working on biodegradable plastic bags for our shorts.